Golf Manitoba is committed to fostering a safe sport environment. Through this difficult and unprecedented crisis, that commitment includes the health and well-being of golfers as well as every Canadian in the communities where we live and play. Our thoughts are with those personally affected by the virus including their families, our most vulnerable citizens and the incredible health care workers who are facing the pandemic on the front lines.
Our industry is fortunate to have a wide-ranging support network of provincial, national and international partners bringing together their expertise to help Canadian golf navigate through the uncertainty of COVID-19.
Collaboration and information sharing are critical during this challenging time and Golf Manitoba has created the resource page below with helpful links to support our member clubs, golfers and our many industry partners coming together during this crisis. The resource page will be updated regularly as information and updates become available.
(As of May 27, 2020)
Golf Manitoba Championships
*UPDATE – May 21, 2020*
Golf Manitoba is excited to announce that our 2020 event season will officially open with the Match Play Championship qualifier being held June 6 & 7 at the Winkler Golf Club with the championship matches being held June 12-14 & 20-21 at the St. Charles Country Club.
*UPDATE – May 15, 2020*
With ongoing uncertainty around the COVID-19 pandemic, Golf Canada continues to evaluate all aspects of our business to make informed and responsible decisions within the best interests of our athletes, staff, volunteers, host clubs, partners and other stakeholders health and well-being.
Golf Canada has made the decision to cancel all 2020 Future Links Junior Skills Challenge Provincial Qualifiers including the Manitoba event that was to be held July 5, 2020 at St. Charles County Club. The decision was also been made to cancel the 2020 NexGen Prairie Championship that was scheduled to be held June 11-14, 2020 at Quarry Oaks Golf Course.
2020 Golf Canada Membership Kits
Golf Canada continues to enhance its digital platforms to provide members with a more convenient and seamless digital experience. Golf Canada is pleased to introduce a digital membership card that will be available through the Golf Canada Score Centre beginning Spring 2020.
Individual members can still request home delivery of their membership package through their Score Centre profile on Golf Canada’s website.
All learning and certification for the World Handicap System is available in webinar format and provided by Golf Ontario. Additional resources are now available on our updated Golf Manitoba World Handicap System webpage. Please click below for more.
Rules of Golf & Rules of Handicapping COVID-19 Guidelines
The information below provides guidance in response to questions received from golf course owners, administrators, tournament organizers and golfers. The following information has been provided to help golf course operators, committees and golfers better understand how the Rules of Golf and Rules of Handicapping apply to the various questions we have received.
Rules of Golf & Rules of Handicapping COVID-19 Guidelines (Updated May 2020)
Golf Canada Mobile
With limited access to Score Centre kiosks, you can continue to post scores with Golf Canada Mobile. Golfers can post scores, look up a golfers handicap index, find golf courses in Canada, compute their course handicap and more.
Free download for iOS and Android.
Player Development Programs
Golf Manitoba is pleased to announce that its junior boys development team will begin their 2020 league season starting June 1 with two teams competing in the Winnipeg Mundie Putter League. The junior girls development team will also resume activity in early June.
The Futures Links driven by Honda Golf in Schools program has been suspended until further notice. All mobile instruction clinics are under review.
National Allied Golf Associations - Manitoba
The Manitoba Allied Golf Associations (Canadian Society of Club Managers, Golf Manitoba, Manitoba Golf Superintendents Association, National Golf Course Owners Association Canada and PGA of Canada Manitoba Zone) are committed to ensuring the health and safety of our members, golfers, staff, volunteers and industry stakeholders as well as every Canadian in the communities where we live, work and play.
Regional & National Resources
- Government of Manitoba: Restoring Safe Services Together: Manitoba’s Phased Approach
- Government of Manitoba: Restoring Services (Phase One – includes golf protocols) – Beginning May 4
- Government of Manitoba COVID-19 Resource Page
- Government of Manitoba Information for Business Support Page
- Golf Canada COVID-19 Updates & Resources Page
- National Golf Course Owners Association COVID-19 Resource Page
- Canadian Society of Club Managers COVID-19 Resource Page
Support from Golf Canada’s Professional Advisors:
Resources from Golf Canada’s professional advisors outlining the various government programs being implemented to mitigate the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. This overview is subject to change as the pandemic progresses.
- Webinar: Risk Management Strategies for the Golf Industry amid COVID-19 – VIDEO I PRESENTATION I WAIVER (Cowan Insurance Group, Sport Law & Strategy Group, Signature Risk Partners Inc. and Golf Canada, May 7, 2020)
- Comparison of Financial Relief Measures Announced by Canadian Governments (Stikeman Elliott LLP, April 14, 2020)
- Cash flow and Government Relief in the time of COVID-19 (BDO Canada & Golf Canada Webinar, April 20, 2020)
Golf Media & Other News
- Sports on Pause Podcast – The Only Game in Town (Rogers Sportsnet, May 25, 2020)
- After years of declining interest, golf is suddenly hot again (National Post, May 26, 2020)
- Golfing is now a new experience, from start to finish (TSN, May 21, 2020)
- BC’s Courses Cautiously Crowded (British Columbia Golf, May 18, 2020)
- Long-awaited opening of golf courses fills a major hole (ReginaLeader-Post, May 17, 2020)
- Let’s not squander opportunity (SCOREGolf, May 15, 2020)
- Canadian golf courses aware of responsibility accompanying re-opening (Sportsnet, May 14, 2020)
- Ontario government allows golf courses to open starting May 16 (Golf Canada, May 14, 2020)
- Golf season to kickoff May 20th in Québec (Golf Canada, May 13, 2020)
- Provincial breakdown of golf restrictions during COVID-19 (The Weather Network, May 12, 2020)
- Go on and golf (Macleans Magazine, May 11, 2020)
- Golf courses aiming for ‘touchless experience’ as they begin to open across Canada (CBC News, May 8, 2020)
- Opening of courses a breath of fresh air for Manitoba golfers (Winnipeg Sun, May 5, 2020)
- Ford: Golf courses can begin preparations in Ontario (TSN, May 1, 2020)
- Hands-free golf invention answers putting problem (TSN, May 1, 2020)
- Golfers ready to hit the links (Winnipeg Free Press, April 30, 2020)
- Alberta golf courses allowed to open this weekend (Calgary Sun, April 30, 2020)
- Golf in Manitoba set to open May 4 (Government of Manitoba, April 29, 2020)
- Golf industry crossing its fingers as province expected to announce easing of restrictions for some recreational activities (CTV Calgary, April 27, 2020)
- Golf courses to open in New Brunswick, Saskatchewan (TSN, April 27, 2020)
- COVID-19: With weather cooperating, Alberta golf courses hope waiting game is almost over (Calgary Sun, April 26, 2020)
- RULES OF ENGAGEMENT: Ontario players antsy while they swing away in B.C. (The Lush Life, April 24, 2020)
- Golf courses across P.E.I. to implement special measures once chief public health officer says they can open (The Guardian, April 24, 2020)
- New Brunswick Golf Courses set to Re-Open (Golf New Brunswick, April 23, 2020)
- Golf to open May 15 in Saskatchewan (Government of Saskatchewan, April 23, 2020)
- Manitoba golf course owners remain cautiously optimistic courses will be able to open this spring (CBC, April 22, 2020)
- Golf course operators expect to open as soon as province allows gatherings of up to 50 people again (Winnipeg Free Press, April 15, 2020)
- 5 Ways to Help Your Golf Course From Home (SCOREGolf, April 13, 2020)
- Manitoba public health order extended until April 28, 2020 (April 13, 2020)
- Manitoba Golf courses impacted by public health order (updated April 4, 2020)
- Statement from We are Golf (National Allied Golf Associations) (March 25, 2020