Golf Manitoba is committed to fostering a safe sport environment. Through this difficult and unprecedented crisis, that commitment includes the health and well-being of golfers as well as every Canadian in the communities where we live and play. Our thoughts are with those personally affected by the virus including their families, our most vulnerable citizens and the incredible health care workers who are facing the pandemic on the front lines.
Our industry is fortunate to have a wide-ranging support network of provincial, national and international partners bringing together their expertise to help Canadian golf navigate through the uncertainty of COVID-19.
Collaboration and information sharing are critical during this challenging time and Golf Manitoba has created the resource page below with helpful links to support our member clubs, golfers and our many industry partners coming together during this crisis. The resource page will be updated regularly as information and updates become available.
(As of March 2, 2021)
Golf Manitoba Championships
2021 Championship Schedule
Golf Manitoba is pleased to release its 2021 Championship Schedule.
***Please note that the Golf Manitoba Office is currently closed to the public until further notice.***
To contact the office, please call 204.925.5730 or by email at email@example.com.
Emergency Support Fund for Sport
Golf Manitoba, on behalf of its member club community, recently applied for was was approved for sport community funding under the federal Emergency Support Fund for Sport. Golf Manitoba is pleased to announce that $28,500 has been distributed to member clubs to help support operational challenges as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Golf’s Playbook for Canada
Golf’s Playbook for Canada is a collaborative effort between Golf Canada, Professional Golfers’ Association of Canada, Canadian Society of Club Managers, and Canadian Golf Superintendent Association. This is a resource for golfers to understand and navigate the golf experience through the COVID-19 pandemic.
Click here for the Playbook >>
All learning and certification for the World Handicap System is available in webinar format and provided by Golf Ontario. Additional resources are now available on our updated Golf Manitoba World Handicap System webpage. Please click below for more.
Rules of Golf & Rules of Handicapping COVID-19 Guidelines
The information below provides guidance in response to questions received from golf course owners, administrators, tournament organizers and golfers. The following information has been provided to help golf course operators, committees and golfers better understand how the Rules of Golf and Rules of Handicapping apply to the various questions we have received.
COVID-19 Rules of Golf and Rules of Handicapping FAQs (Updated July 13, 2020)
Golf Canada Mobile
With limited access to Score Centre kiosks, you can continue to post scores with Golf Canada Mobile. Golfers can post scores, look up a golfers handicap index, find golf courses in Canada, compute their course handicap and more.
Player Development Programs
Golf Manitoba is pleased to announce the hires of Bri-ann Tokariwski as the Head Coach for the 2021 Junior Women’s Development Program and Derrik Goodwin as Head Coach for the 2021 Junior Men’s Development Program.
As development team coaches, Tokariwski and Goodwin will lead Golf Manitoba in the skill development of Manitoba’s top and aspiring junior golfers. Both will take on a number of responsibilities including designing and administering a provincial development program, providing ongoing coaching support to targeted athletes on the competitive pathway, coaching at regional, provincial and national competitions and collaborating with allied partners to support enhanced excellence.
National Allied Golf Associations - Manitoba
The Manitoba Allied Golf Associations (Canadian Society of Club Managers, Golf Manitoba, Manitoba Golf Superintendents Association, National Golf Course Owners Association Canada and PGA of Canada Manitoba Zone) are committed to ensuring the health and safety of our members, golfers, staff, volunteers and industry stakeholders as well as every Canadian in the communities where we live, work and play.
Regional & National Resources
- Government of Manitoba – New Public Health Orders (effective March 5, 2021)
- Government of Manitoba – New Public Health Orders (effective February 12, 2021)
- Government of Manitoba – Province Makes Modest Changes To Provincial Public Health Orders Protecting Manitobans (effective January 23, 2021)
- Government of Manitoba Bridge Grant Program (effective November 16)
- Government of Manitoba Pandemic Response System
- Government of Manitoba announces Phase 3 of Restoring Safe Services (effective June 21)
- Government of Manitoba: Restoring Safe Services Phase 2 (includes golf protocols as of June 1, 2020)
- Government of Manitoba: Restoring Safe Services Together: Manitoba’s Phased Approach
- Government of Manitoba: Restoring Services (Phase One – includes golf protocols) – Beginning May 4
- Government of Manitoba COVID-19 Resource Page
- Government of Manitoba Information for Business Support Page
- Golf Canada COVID-19 Updates & Resources Page
- National Golf Course Owners Association COVID-19 Resource Page
- Canadian Society of Club Managers COVID-19 Resource Page
Support from Golf Canada’s Professional Advisors:
Resources from Golf Canada’s professional advisors outlining the various government programs being implemented to mitigate the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. This overview is subject to change as the pandemic progresses.
- Webinar: Risk Management Strategies for the Golf Industry amid COVID-19 – VIDEO I PRESENTATION I WAIVER (Cowan Insurance Group, Sport Law & Strategy Group, Signature Risk Partners Inc. and Golf Canada, May 7, 2020)
- Comparison of Financial Relief Measures Announced by Canadian Governments (Stikeman Elliott LLP, April 14, 2020)
- Cash flow and Government Relief in the time of COVID-19 (BDO Canada & Golf Canada Webinar, April 20, 2020)
Golf Media & Other News
- Golf Manitoba Member Clubs Receive Emergency Support Fund Boost (Golf Manitoba)
- Manitoba businesses gird themselves for fresh wave of pandemic shutdowns (CBC Manitoba, November 10)
- Manitoba couple golf every course in province (Global News, October 14, 2020)
- Manitoba makes masks mandatory for Winnipeg as COVID-19 cases surge (Winnipeg Free Press, September 25, 2020)
- 2021 Canada Games Postponed (September 16, 2020)
- Forget about par for 2020 season, golf industry in York Region booming (Yorkregion.com, September 5, 2020)
- NGCOA Canada Data Shows 25.5 Per Cent Increase In Rounds Played In July Year Over Year (Golf News Now, September 4, 2020)
- It’s no longer anecdotal…NGCOA Canada releases the REAL data on Rounds Played! (NGCOA, September 3, 2020)
- 2020 PGA Championship of Canada cancelled (Golf Canada, September 3, 2020)
- ‘Where things feel normal’: Why more Ontarians are hitting the links during (COVID-19 TVO, August 26, 2020)
- Golf Has Earned Its Reputation As A Safe Sport In This Pandemic And Acquired The Knowledge It Needs For Any Future Test (Golf News Now, August 20, 2020)
- ‘Fully booked, every day’: The golf business was struggling — until the pandemic hit (Financial Post, August 18, 2020)
- Cove Links re-opens after COVID rumour (Delta Optimist, August, 17, 2020)
- 108 golf resort ‘breaking records’ (100 Mile Free Press, August 13, 2020)
- Video Chat: Laurence Applebaum, Golf Canada CEO, On The Launch Of First Tee In Canada (Golf News Now, August 12, 2020)
- Video Chat: Martin Barnard, CEO Golf Canada Foundation, On COVID-19 Golf Relief Fund (Golf News Now, August 12, 2020)
- Golf sees surge amid COVID-19 pandemic (RMOToday.comToday, August 11, 2020)
- Trading one bunker for another: Finding a respite from the pandemic on the golf course (The Globe & Mail, August 8, 2020)
- Golf courses in Kamloops seeing major upswing in numbers of people playing (CFJC Today, July 22, 2020)
- Pandemic boosts golf to new heights of popularity (Kitchener/Waterloo Record, July 13, 2020)
- Canadians playing more golf in 2020 once COVID 19 restrictions lifted (Golf Canada, July 8, 2020)
- Golf in the time of COVID (Golf Canada, July 6, 2020)
- B.C. Private Clubs Seeing Tiger-Like Surge In Demand (British Columbia Golf, June 5, 2020)
- Sports on Pause Podcast – The Only Game in Town (Rogers Sportsnet, May 25, 2020)
- After years of declining interest, golf is suddenly hot again (National Post, May 26, 2020)
- Golfing is now a new experience, from start to finish (TSN, May 21, 2020)
- BC’s Courses Cautiously Crowded (British Columbia Golf, May 18, 2020)
- Long-awaited opening of golf courses fills a major hole (ReginaLeader-Post, May 17, 2020)
- Let’s not squander opportunity (SCOREGolf, May 15, 2020)
- Canadian golf courses aware of responsibility accompanying re-opening (Sportsnet, May 14, 2020)
- Ontario government allows golf courses to open starting May 16 (Golf Canada, May 14, 2020)
- Golf season to kickoff May 20th in Québec (Golf Canada, May 13, 2020)
- Provincial breakdown of golf restrictions during COVID-19 (The Weather Network, May 12, 2020)
- Go on and golf (Macleans Magazine, May 11, 2020)
- Golf courses aiming for ‘touchless experience’ as they begin to open across Canada (CBC News, May 8, 2020)
- Opening of courses a breath of fresh air for Manitoba golfers (Winnipeg Sun, May 5, 2020)
- Ford: Golf courses can begin preparations in Ontario (TSN, May 1, 2020)
- Hands-free golf invention answers putting problem (TSN, May 1, 2020)
- Golfers ready to hit the links (Winnipeg Free Press, April 30, 2020)
- Alberta golf courses allowed to open this weekend (Calgary Sun, April 30, 2020)
- Golf in Manitoba set to open May 4 (Government of Manitoba, April 29, 2020)
- Golf industry crossing its fingers as province expected to announce easing of restrictions for some recreational activities (CTV Calgary, April 27, 2020)
- Golf courses to open in New Brunswick, Saskatchewan (TSN, April 27, 2020)
- COVID-19: With weather cooperating, Alberta golf courses hope waiting game is almost over (Calgary Sun, April 26, 2020)
- RULES OF ENGAGEMENT: Ontario players antsy while they swing away in B.C. (The Lush Life, April 24, 2020)
- Golf courses across P.E.I. to implement special measures once chief public health officer says they can open (The Guardian, April 24, 2020)
- New Brunswick Golf Courses set to Re-Open (Golf New Brunswick, April 23, 2020)
- Golf to open May 15 in Saskatchewan (Government of Saskatchewan, April 23, 2020)
- Manitoba golf course owners remain cautiously optimistic courses will be able to open this spring (CBC, April 22, 2020)
- Golf course operators expect to open as soon as province allows gatherings of up to 50 people again (Winnipeg Free Press, April 15, 2020)
- 5 Ways to Help Your Golf Course From Home (SCOREGolf, April 13, 2020)
- Manitoba public health order extended until April 28, 2020 (April 13, 2020)
- Manitoba Golf courses impacted by public health order (updated April 4, 2020)
- Statement from We are Golf (National Allied Golf Associations) (March 25, 2020